Khost Province

KhostKhost is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan, located in the eastern part of the country next to Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). Khost province used to be part of Paktia province in the past. The city of Khost serves as the capital of Khost province. The population of the province is around 546,800, which is mostly a tribal society. Khost Airport serves the province for domestic flights to Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul.

Recent history

In September 2011, work on the construction of Khost International Airport began. It is estimated the airport will cost $2.5 million. The funds for the project are being provided by the Afghan government. The airport will be located in a desert between Ismailkhel and Tani District.


The percentage of households with clean drinking water increased from 34% in 2005 to 35% in 2011.[6] The percentage of births attended to by a skilled birth attendant increased from 18% in 2005 to 32% in 2011.


The population of Khost province is around 546,800. The Pashtun people make up 99% of the population, with the remaining 1% being Tajiks and others.


Khost province is divided into about 13 districts.

District Population Area
Bak 22,561
Gurbuz 26,762
Zazi Maidan 23,197
Khost Matun|Capital 140,642
Mandozayi 57,602
Musakhel 41,882
Nadir Shah Kot 32,522
Qalandar 10,440
Sabari 72,364
Shamal 13,920
Spera 24,841
Tani 60,842
Tirazayi 45,602
NOTICE: We are in process of moving to a new design, as result of this you may encounter links which are not accessible.